Ryan Walmsley, creator of Rastrack and co-editor of Pi Weekly (and constant CamJam attendee!), has had a great success with his RTK motor controller board and has now branched out into a full beginners robot kit. The kit includes almost everything you need to get a robot up-and-running:
- A RTK motor controller board kit
- A chassis
- A wi-fi adapter
- A battery box for driving the motors
- 2 motors and wheels
- Wires to connect it up and screws to assemble it
- Lots of documentation and code
He is running the kits as an Indiegogo campaign and so you have some options:
- £33 – the kit with a motor controller board you’ll have to solder yourself
- £35 – the kit with a soldered motor controller board
- There’s also a 5-robot set available for schools at £148 (which is quite a saving).
For the first ten he sells, there’s a £3 discount on the basic kit so you could pick one up for £30.
The only things you will need to get yourself are: a Raspberry Pi, batteries for the motor pack and a portable power source for the Pi. Ryan’s decided not to include these as shipping of batteries carries with it a load of regulations and possible extra charges.
You will be hard-pushed to find a better kit at a better price. The quality is good and has been fully tested by Ryan.
I’m not affiliated to Ryan or his business, I just think this is a great kit at a great price and I like to support new business where I can.