This crowdfunding campaign failed. This post is left here for historical reasons.
Pi2Design has come up with a very neat package for their latest crowdfunding campaign (campaign failed).
The Pi2Media Home Theatre One combines a Raspberry Pi 2 with two add-on boards to create a full surround-sound home media centre. It comes with the following features:
- Connects to your TV or Monitor via standard HDMI cable.
- Internal mSATA storage up to 1TB (comes standard with 32, 250 or 500GB).
- Comes pre-configured with OSMC as the default boot option. (This can be changed at any time via the included 8GB SD card loaded with NOOBS.)
- Outputs 24-Bit 96Khz/192Khz High Resolution Audio on all 8-channels
- 5.1 pass through via Optical TOSLink (S/PDIF)
- Built-in WiFi (802.11b/g/n) with an internal antenna. (Save those USB ports!)
- WiFi streaming to tablets and phones via UPNP/DLNA protocol
- Built-in Consumer IR Receiver
- Three USB ports from the Raspberry Pi® 2 Model B for connecting extra devices (one is used to connect to the 502SSD)
- Two additional USB ports provide up to 1.5A current for device charging, such as smartphones, digital cameras, tablets, etc
- Compatible with any powered PC speakers or analog amplifier
- Completely hackable! Can be reprogrammed to run any RPi 2 supported OS.
- Enclosure is machined from T6061 Aircraft Grade aluminium, with hardened, scratch resistant infrared acrylic front panel
- Completely “silent” operation. No spinning hard drives to intrude upon your media experience!
The system will use the OSMC operating system to deliver content. There are various pledge levels, so read carefully, and at the moment there is a rather attractive $199 earlybird deal for the streaming version of the box.