Evghenii has developed a system that automates the process of recognising cars and opening gates based on who they are. The system, which uses a Raspberry Pi, an IP camera and some relays plus a mixture of Python (including OpenCV), shell scripting (I can feel a headache building already) and Telegram messaging has the following principles of operation:
- The car drives up to the gates.
- Camera reads the car plate numbers.
- Checks the read number with the database; if it finds one, then it opens the gate and lets the car pass.
- Each car at the gates is photographed, then a photo is sent to the Telegram application with the car plate number and its status.
- Telegram bot has the ability to open and close the gates, take a current photo and add an unknown car to the database.